In recent years The Department of Family and Community Medicine (DFCM) has consistently ranked within the top 10 in NIH research funding among Family Medicine departments nationally, and currently ranks 6th! Our mission is to advance the science of health, research, education and service through community collaboration. Our investigators conduct novel research relevant to the diverse communities we serve to accomplish this mission. Our goal is to improve health and healthcare for all New Mexicans.
- We strive to conduct innovative research and provide education that improves the health of our communities and eliminates disparities in health care.
- We apply rigorous qualitative and quantitative methods to create culturally-sensitive and often personalized solutions to problems.
- We are committed to producing high-quality scholarship and participating in systemic dissemination of our findings.
- Our faculty leads and participates in various departmental programs including; Research Involving Outpatient Settings (RIOS-Net) - a statewide practice-based research network, New Mexico Cares Health Disparities Center, Center for Participatory Research, Office of Diversity, Institute for Indigenous Knowledge and Development/Center for Native American Health, Maternal and Child Health Program, Public Health Program, Area Health Education Centers (AHEC), Physician Assistant ProgramSports Medicine,and the Office of Community Health.
- Faculty, fellows, residents, students and staff participate in a variety of scholarly activities including teaching, publishing, reviewing, mentoring and presenting research findings at local, state, national and international conferences and meetings.
- Undergraduates, graduate and medical students; medical residents, doctoral students, post-docs and fellows, as well as staff and faculty are all engaged in various aspects of scholarly projects.
- DFCM is committed to the development of junior faculty and pipeline efforts through mentorship by senior investigators and staff.
Meet Our Administrative Team
Click here to meet our Research Management Team (RMT) along with their contact information.
This section also includes the Mission & Vision statement for the Research Division and the Research Management Team (RMT).
Click here to review ongoing projects with the department.